|Robin Morris' site|
|home archives blogs collaborative book forum news feeds submit search user account|
rozzamozza 18/02/2009 - 17:31 Excellent summary of BPM failures and possible improvements.
Freesat from Sky on a PVR with a Dragm CAM
rozzamozza 12/10/2007 - 04:46 Yes the rumours are true!
You can use a valid (paid for) Sky NDS card in a Dragon CAM on a PVR (such as the Topfield 6000). This will enable you to get Channel 4 and 5 and other freeview channels.
To say this is Free view is a bit much. It cost nearly £500 but you don’t have to pay £10 a month to sky for the privilege of recording freeview!
It was not easy (the main difficulty is finding information on satellite forums that has not been removed)
- Satellite PVR that has a CAM slot (e.g. Topfield 6000 £350)
- Dragon Cam and Dragon Card (£59 http://www.satstore.co.uk/)
rozzamozza 18/05/2007 - 06:47 Mocks suck because...
1. I've seen many mock tests cases pass marvoulously but the real thing falls flat on its face with a null pointer etc. Always use the REAL code whenever you can as there is no substitute.
2. It's a waste of code. Stick to real code and assertions and dont waste compile time on fake or mock objects.
3. They don't work well with refactoring. Mock Objects in particular does not refactor well. So if you chnage the method name of one of your interfaces to be more meaningfull (using a sensible IDE like intellij or eclipse) the test fails! Why? Not because of any falied answer you are expecting but because it uses reflection to rename the method.
GWT Google Web Toolkit
rozzamozza 17/04/2007 - 09:53 To take advantage of new AJAX functionality and the usability improvements this gives, I thought I would try out Google Web Toolkit for a web based reporting tool I was using.
The idea looks sound.
- Develop your Junit tests and code in java in a professional IDE such as Intellij or Eclipse.
- This then runs on any client.
GWT comes with most of the Swing like components you will need so it is quite easy to modify their examples to get smething neet that works.
Issues I faced..
1. As with immature software the "Happy path" for the code you are doing works well. The problem comes if you make some mistake. The error message you get is not intuitive.
New son is born
rozzamozza 23/05/2006 - 16:01 Oliver David Deuchar Morris was born today at 7pm weighing in 7lbs 11oz.
Mother and Baby doing very well.
Oracle db explain plans
rozzamozza 16/11/2005 - 10:09 v$sql_plan contains information about the explain plan of running sql.
e.g. to find some sql plan....
select * from v$sql_plan where hash_VALUE in (select hash_value from v$sql where upper(sql_text) like 'SELECT ITEM_CD FROM ITEM_HISTORY WHERE%')
Reverse name look up of an IP Address
rozzamozza 08/09/2005 - 04:32 E.g. to find 188.8.131.52
This assumes the Network Admins have set this feature up
rozzamozza 25/08/2005 - 14:16 Arggg my ADSL provider has kindly upgraded me to 2MB broadband ... but changed me to a dynamic IP. Ahh well lets try rozzamozza.no-ip.org
Malien 0.3 released
rozzamozza 15/07/2005 - 08:00 malien version 0.3 released.
I now get emailed if there are page errors! So now you can tell if this goes offline at anystage or as in this case the email account password is chnaged!